The Bottom Line: Credit Cards

The Bottom Line panel talks credit cards. What you need to know about how many to have, how to use them and who’s really ringing up the cash.
Video Rating: 4 / 5

Josh in Indianapolis uses a credit card for the rewards and pays it off every month. Is it really that bad? Dave answers and gives his reasons.

★ FREE money tools and forms: http://daveramsey.com/tools
★ Daily wisdom and tips from Dave: http://daveramsey.com/blog
★ Books, CDs, DVDs, and classes: http://daveramsey.com/store
★ Subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=DaveRamseyShow

● Watch online 24/7: http://daveramsey.com/show
● Download our app: https://appsto.re/i66Y77m
● The show’s Twitter: http://twitter.com/ramseyshow
● Dave’s Twitter: http://twitter.com/daveramsey
● Facebook: http://facebook.com/daveramsey

IN THIS VIDEO: Dave Ramsey, The Dave Ramsey Show, Financial Peace University, FPU, The Total Money Makeover, budget, envelope system, emergency fund, baby steps, radio show, debt freedom, EntreLeadership, mortgage, ELP, daveramsey.com, money, finance, economy, investing, saving, retirement, cash, mutual fund, stock market, business, leadership, credit, drtlgi
Video Rating: 4 / 5

18 comments

1. A55tech says:

I’ll take the $400 a year thank you very much. Been doing it for over 10
    years. Sometimes $400 on a single sign-up bonus.

2. Neapolis says:

Yes, He is wacked out! He is selling Snake Oil! Period!!! Keep buying his
    books and making him richer. Real Smart, isn’t it?

3. Amy browneyes says:

so this guy gets back $400 a year by using the credit card… if he paid
    cash instead and saved 20% on his purchases by spending less he would
    either make his $400 back or even more than than. I think you come out on
    top more without using the CC. Banks are NOT going to give you something
    for free! there is always a catch and you end up paying one way or another

4. BCampbellGBC says:

I have a credit card that averages $300/year saved on groceries. Any extra
    money I save on my monthly budget I put in an account I call “the slush
    fund” it’s the money I use when an unexpected expense comes up that isn’t
    an emergency. Credit cards aren’t evil if you play the system and don’t let
    the system play you. Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to one. Never
    been in debt.

5. MissWinner247 says:

I actually spend less with my credit card! I save anywhere from $50 to $100
    a month at the grocery store and I use a CREDIT CARD!

6. Ramblin' Wreck says:

$600-700 in cash back a year is nothing insignificant for my family.
    Especially when a majority of my spending is on “everyday” type purchases
    (i.e., I HAVE to spend the money). Am I “making it rich” because of it,
    Dave? No. People paying cash are subsidizing my responsible spending.
    Sorry, man. Not following your advice here.

7. Mark Suggs says:

People who succumb to the kind of marketing-induced, impulse-spending
    habits should not have a credit card. But for someone who doesn’t succumb
    to that, who recognizes spending a paper dollar isn’t any different from
    spending it with plastic, a credit card can be a financial benefit. Besides
    the cash-back value, all my purchases are tracked through my cc statement,
    so I have better tools to analyze my spending. A “never use credit cards”
    argument is as disconnected from reality as a “never drink alcohol and
    you’ll never be an alcoholic” argument: responsible people can enjoy
    alcohol without harming themselves or others. The problem isn’t the credit
    card or the alcohol: it’s the irresponsible person. Start fixing the
    problem by teaching responsibility, not making a blanket ban on a financial
    tool.

8. disposablefreedom says:

Oh c’mon, I have credit and debit cards, I have the best credit ever,
    hopefully gonna buy another house and rent the one I own now out.. If
    you’re disciplined and can manage your money well there’s no problem having
    one.. I spend less with plastic..

9. Douglas Moran says:

This guy’s ignorance is astounding.

He suggests a cash back of $400 is irrelevant! He suggests the effort to
    get that cash back is huge. Really, $400 is $400 you would not have without
    the cash back card. There is no effort to get that $400.

Not fully using the credit system is silly. Use it well and enjoy the
    benefits.

Listen to how old Dave tries to refute this caller. Nothing but hyperbole
    and fear.

10. FortNikitaBullion says:

I do believe cash back can make you a millionaire. Can’t tell you how many
    investments I bought using reward money.

11. Madeline Winters says:

This guy is a moron. Credit cards are significantly better than debit cards
    for several reasons unless you’re a crazy compulsive spender and have no
    self control.

12. gene says:

“someones putting a bag of potato chips on a freaking credit card”, this
    guy obviously isnt up to date on normal life. he probably is one of those